UWA REDCap Accounts
REDCap is a web-based application designed to support data capture for research studies. To be eligible to use the hosted UWA REDCap instance, your study must be a non-commercial University of Western Australia (UWA) sponsored research project. Our license agreement with the REDCap developers requires this.
If the University is not a primary research partner, or if the study ethics agreement requires that the data be controlled by a different institution, then you will not be able to use the UWA REDCap instance.
UWA User Accounts
University staff members, students, or honorary staff are eligible to use the UWA REDCap instance for HREC approved research projects. Request access by emailing details of your research project to RedcapAdmin@uwa.edu.au.
Upon creation of your access account, you will receive a confirmation email with the login URL as well as a welcome email with links to resources to learn more about REDCap.
Non UWA User Accounts
As research often involves collaboration with non UWA institutions and partners non UWA collaborators/users may need access to your project. Access for non UWA users can be requested by a project owner who acts as a “sponsor” user, and this sponsor is responsible for managing these requested users and assigning the appropriate project permissions within the sponsors project. Sponsored access accounts do not have the ability to create new projects and furthermore must have an access expiry date. The sponsor user will be automatically notified 14 days before the expiry date falls due and can choose to lodge an access extension request via REDCap admin of up to one year at a time.
To request an access account for an external user, email email@example.com with the following details:
The user’s first name
The user’s last name
The user’s email address
The user’s institution (the organisation they work at that is connected with your research study)
The REDCap username of the sponsor user
The access expiry date for the account, within the next 3 years
[Optional] comment about the user
If you need to request multiple accounts, you may prefer to complete a bulk user upload spreadsheet, which allows you to enter the same information for multiple user accounts.
Trial User Accounts
If you are a UWA staff, student or honorary but you don’t have HREC approval for a research project as yet or you aren’t certain whether REDCap will be suitable for your research project, you may prefer to request a demo project. A demo account gives you access to a project for two months and any work you do using the trial account can be transferred over if you proceed.
Clinical Investigators retain accountability for data custodianship, including conformance to the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research.
Access to REDCap:
Project owners are responsible for their projects design, development and data as well as managing other users access to their project and data.
It is the responsibility of the researcher to comply with all Australian State and Federal legislation – and this includes the use of person identifiers, privacy legislation and data protection laws. For international studies, further compliance may be necessary. UWA staff members must conform to (University of Western Australia Research Policy and guidelines. Also see www.comlaw.gov.au, www.nhmrc.gov.au and www.australianclinicaltrials.gov.au for additional resources.
Data Retention Compliance:
The REDCap application is not designed for long-term data retention. At the end of a study it is the researcher’s responsibility to conform to retention of data guidelines by archiving data independently of the REDCap application.
Project and Data Backup:
The project owner can export the project schema and data from the project administration screen. It is the researcher’s responsibility to ensure backups of their project schema and data are performed and maintained, at intervals determined appropriate for the project.
The project schema and data need to be kept secure by the researcher and the researcher retains accountability for the data retention and custodianship.
Compliance notes with specific relevance to questionnaire design:
- IDENTIFIABLE DATA: Where data collected is person-identifiable, Privacy Legislation applies
- ETHICS AND CONSENT: Regardless of legislation, in research involving humans, you should always try to implement the best practicable mechanism of informed consent. This must be addressed in questionnaire and project designs. Please see the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) guidelines validated and adhered to for Therapeutic Good Administration (TGA) Trials: It is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure that their research study collection forms for all TGA clinical trials that have human subject participants, adhere to and are validated against GCP guidelines
- MEDICARE ID: The Australian Medicare ID is constrained by specific legislation and its use for secondary uses of data (research) is NOT permitted.
- US FDA 21 CFR Part 11: REDCap is not compliant to this standard.
- EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): this REDCap platform is not compliant at this time.
- US HIPAA regulations: REDCap is designed to comply, however the compliance of our instance has not been verified. It is the responsibility of the researcher that their study complies with HIPPA regulations, if applicable.